8244 is a great turn-key entry-level 505 and might be competitive at the local level in the right hands. This boat competed in the 2017 worlds and we were able to at least start every race. Mike Holt originally owned this boat in 1990. The boat is still very light (I had to add 5 kg lead to weigh in at the worlds).
- Double (aluminum) poles
- Two mainsails (one decent P&B ~2001, and one old bagged-out North Sails)
- Two jibs (one marginal ~2001 North Sails, one bagged-out (and over-sized) P&B)
- Gybing (not high-aspect) centerboard (note: the trunk is not long enough to take a high-aspect board, so without major surgery this is about as good as it gets. This is one reason this boat will not ever be competitive over the local level)
- Nice new top cover (2016)
- Hull has had a couple of repairs (above the waterline)
- Older rapid trailer with new bearings
- Dolly rollers are worn out, but you can still muscle the dolly onto the trailer.
- Dolly is still fully functional if a bit rusty
I’m selling this boat because I’m looking to upgrade to a more competitive (Category 4) boat. I’ve learned what I can from 8244, but it’s time to move up. Willing to negotiate on price.